Saturday, May 17, 2008

it's everywhere

so i was driving into town today, and i heard a song begin on the radio. within the first line of the song, i knew what it was about. i waited in the parking lot of the store so i could hear the whole thing. it brought back things i don't like to think about but there is no forgetting. i don't dwell on it anymore, but i won't ever forget.
in a way it was nice to know that someone else out there (and i'm sure many people have experienced the same thing) can put my feelings into words.

it's called "forgive" my rebecca lynn howard

I always said that'd be it
That I wouldn't stick around
If it ever came to this
Here I am so confused
How am I supposed to leave
When I can't even move
In the time that it would've took to say
"Honey I'm home, how was your day"
You dropped a bomb right where we live
And just expected me to forgive

Well that's a mighty big word
For such a small man
And I'm not sure I can
'Cause I don't even know now who I am
It's too soon for me to say forgive

I should ask but I won't
Was it love or just her touch
'Cause I don't think I want to know
So get you some things and get out
Don't call me for a day or two
So I can sort this out
Well you might as well've ripped the life
Right out of me, right here tonight
When through the fallen tears you said
Can you ever just forgive

Well that's a mighty big word
For such a small man
And I'm not sure I can
'Cause I don't even know now who I am
It's too soon for me to say forgive

Well you know what they say
Forgive and forget,
Relive and regret

Forgive, well that's a mighty big word
For such a small man
And I'm not sure I can
'Cause I don't even know now who I am
It's too soon for me to say forgive

It's too soon for me to say
Forgive

3 comments:

KTElltt said...

Catching up on blog reading today -- not gonna comment all of these, but I am reading them all. Congrats on the job and the pics are so cute! That day that it snowed was so much fun, huh? :)

This forgiveness thing -- it's soooo hard. I haven't been through what you have and hopefully never will. I have been in a situation lately (not with my husband) where God has just forced me to open my eyes and really look a the situation -- forgiving myself and forgiving that person, and doing my best to own what I did wrong. It's been so hard. So hard. But I know you'll get there some day. Keep praying for it. Sometimes, these things just take time. It's better for you to get there, though because when you stand back and look at it the bitterness only holds you back. Love you!

ashley said...

thanks skates!
sometimes i think i have forgiven him, but then i think that if i forgive him, it makes what he did ok. it's kind of a catch 22. i know that forgiveness is more for me, but it will never be ok.
i'm not mad anymore, actually i'm quite happy how everything has tunred out. my only concern is for morgan. only time will tell how all of this will effect her.
i'm just trying to do my best to give her a loving, stable home to grow up in.

love you too!
hopefully i'll be able to see you one of these days when i come to jackson!

KTElltt said...

I can see where you might would feel that way. Forgiveness as I understand it, though, is just being able to say that that person doesn't owe you anything anymore. I mean, really, what good does it do to hope they're going to grovel some day or admit they were wrong when you know they probably never will? But just because you let them go from whatever they "owe" you doesn't mean that what they did was right or ok -- not with anyone, and especially not with God (scriptures on adultery and divorce are severely harsh). He'll still have to make his own amends in his life to God, and if he's honest with himself, to you. But like I said, he more than likely won't. And he will live with it hanging over his head the rest of his life. But if you can let it go, then you don't have to live with it hanging over yours and you can be okay, even though what he did isn't okay. That's just my take on it.

YES! Come see us some time. We'd love it. Bring the whole family, if you want...